Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Yellowstone
For the end of our trip we went to Yellowstone with the Jones clan. As BYU-I attendees Ben and I had both been there before, but were excited for some new and different experiences with our extended family. We got A LOT of food and caravanned over some beautiful country to finally arrive at the Winterton's family cabin.
Now what I found kind of hilarious is that Amy and Warren as well as the Gandy's had just honeymooned there a year earlier (a month apart no less). Now some other family members and I would say things to each other and then try to stifle a giggle (like "How did you sleep last night? I am sure better than the last time you were here!). I know, we are very immature, but it was all in good fun. Sometimes while trying to not to laugh we would burst out and laugh so hard we would cry. Like I said earlier, I know I am immature, but man it was so funny. Sigh.
The cabin had 4 bedrooms and since our family was the only one without a baby we were on the hide-a-bed, or the air mattress. Thank goodness it was for only the last two nights since Warren and Amy came later than the rest of us. It did have two bathrooms which was a plus with a big kitchen. The cabin was located on an island which had it's plus and minuses. The plus is we really didn't have to worry about bears/riff raff. It felt pretty safe. The con was the gate. Oh the dreaded gate. Since we had 4 or 5 cars if we all went some place or if more than one person needed to go somewhere it was a pain in the rear to have to wait for the person who had the ONE key to get access.
On our way there I did discuss with the kids that they couldn't just go anywhere they wanted to and to stay close. We did mention bears. BIG MISTAKE. Austin and Emma latched on to that idea and scared themselves silly. Emma was just shy of true terror. But after figuring out there was a gate and explaining that the bears would not be able to get on the island she calmed down a bit.
There was this book at the cabin called "Who Pooped?". Austin proved to me you can never be too young for potty humor. He thought that book was awesome and would try to get everyone and anyone to read it to him. I will admit it was a pretty cool read. It talks about looking at the poop and trying to figure out who it belonged to based on size and what was in it. Then it went to explain the diet and habits of the animal.
With rambunctious kiddos we would start to get cabin fever. We thought we would go into the woods and explore. Austin ran head long into the brush I was following him when I noticed a rather large spider on his shoulder. I hit it off. Austin was upset I hit him until I showed him the spider. Then I started to notice more and more. Justin and Clayton were with us and I called out to them to see if they noticed the same thing. Sure enough they did. Needless to say that was the last time we went off roading. Instead we stuck tot he gravel road and took a long walk. We saw herons and found sticks that the kids thought made great swords.
Emma loved having baby girl cousins. She was so sweet to them. She would hug and love on them. Especially baby Rachel who was smaller than Maddie. She even shared her "cold" pillow with Rachel which is a big deal since she doesn't let anyone lay on it, not even Mom or Dad.
The whole family went to a dinner show. It was pretty funny and had a lot of LDS humor in it. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The prime rib was really good! And so were the rolls and cinnamon rolls. The kids thought it was a little long so I had to take them to run around outside a few times.
We went to Old Faithful and Austin LOVED it. We also walked around to see the under ground geysers and hot springs. The kids found that really interesting. They loved all the different shapes and colors. We were about to leave and Austin had a fit because he wanted to go back and see Old Faithful again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment