Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thursday, May 20, 2010

When Ye Are in the Service of Your Fellow Beings Ye Are Only in the Service of Your God" (Mosiah 2:17)

This week has been crazy, and I mean crazy. I am in the middle of planning two baby showers, Ben has some work stuff he is stressing about, my in-laws are coming on Saturday, and I have a friend of ours teenage daughter that I will be in charge of/watching from Sat-Tues; so working out logistics on that since I have to sleep over at her house because my in-laws will be here. I am also singing Sunday this really crazy song that I am afraid to preform, but I need to have courage...and Austin has the Noro virus since Saturday. That entails diarrhea, and vomiting from anywhere from one to two weeks! Just kill me now. Thank goodness no one else has come down with it since it is extremely contagious.
So now to get down to the title of my post. I have a great friend from High School that wrote me asking for some help. Her ex has filed for custody of her daughter and she asked me to write a letter to the judge about her character and ability to be a good parent. I agreed and was honored by the request. The only problem is I hadn't sent the letter and it needed to be there by Monday the 24th. I rushed down to the UPS store and asked how much it would be and they said "$28.00". WHAT!? That is crazy I thought to myself. I told them I could not afford to pay that much to send a letter and asked for all the price/time options. I mentioned to man helping me that I needed to get it to a judge by the court date. While we were discussing this a different customer was talking to another associate about something. The customer leaned over and put something in her hand. The associate asked if she was sure about it, and the lady smiled and told her that today was a day of celebration because her daughter was graduating. She then turned around and left. As she was leaving the associate said "Ms., that lady just left you $20.00 to pay for your letter". The first thought in my mind, due to my pride was embarrassment. Surely I did not need any one's charity, but then I just felt grateful. I called out a thanks to her as she was getting in her car. She smiled and waved. The associate thought it was crazy that she had given the money and just kept looking at me strangely as we finished the transaction. But he did not understand. He did not understand that Heavenly Father was granting me His tender mercy in a hectic time in my life. Maybe he had forgotten that there are still good people that show the light of Christ and will serve their fellow man out of no other reason than to just serve.

Now I don't know if my letter will make a difference, but I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who created a way for me to serve another, and in doing so strengthened my testimony of goodness and service. He loves us and wants us to succeed. I hope this brightened up your day.

9 comments:

Kevin and Eliza said...

That is awesome! I love the tender mercies of the Lord.

Keiza said...

Cortney, that's so great. I got a little teary-eyed. When we are faithful in all things, the Lord does find small and simple ways to bless our lives. I hope you can make a difference!!

Nicole Greer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Wow, that is so nice to hear when thing like that happen. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know that those things really do happen, and that there are really people out there like that. This made me smile!

P.S. That was me that deleted the last comment. I wasn't signed in under me.

Unknown said...

How inspiring! That lady was your answer to a prayer and you are a great example to us all. Even when life gets REALLY crazy, the Lord still blesses us and wants us to see HIs tender mercies. Thanks for sharing and reminding us Cortney! And good luck singing in church. You will do AWESOME!

Justin and Stephanie said...

Great Story!! Thanks for calling and sharing it with me the other day. I hope that you had a nice visit with mom & dad

Carissa said...

Wow, Cortney. Thanks for sharing that. Such a sweet acknowledgement of Heavenly Fathers hand in our lives. Good luck with the rest of our week!

KingFAM said...

Thanks for sharing. It would be so fun to see you guys this weekend. Aaron MIGHT have to work on Sat. but if you want to give us the info then we will come if he is free. Hooray for weddings! :-)

Melissa and Lance Atkins said...

Hey cortney! Hey, did Ben give you my message? My phone broke awhile ago and I finally got a new one, but I don't have your number anymore. Call me sometime or message me your number so we can catch up! Thanks