Today I made home made chicken and rice soup since Ben was sick. I boiled a whole chicken a couple of days before, put it in the fridge, then skimmed off the fat. As I was picking out the bones I remembered when I thought to myself that this would be really hard to do, so I didn't do it. It is a cheap and easy way to make stock and shredded chicken meat for the freezer, not to mention a couple more meals pre-freezing. I now actually enjoy doing it and try to do prep work like this once a month.
Today we had Sis Staples from the General Relief Society Board come and visit our ward today and she spoke on somethings that I have been struggling with. One of them was scripture study. It was so neat to hear her speak, it was almost as Heavenly Father whispered in her ear exactally what I needed to hear. I spoke with her afterwards and expressed my gratitude for her being open to the spirit for revelation, and told her how scripture study was something that was difficult for me at times. She expressed how she had to just force herself to do it, because she wasn't a big reader, and enjoying it did not come naturally. We then spoke of Elder Uchtdorff's comment that eternity was not won in a sprint, and that made me realize that I really did just need to keep doing it and it would get easier. If this dear sister once struggled with this and has become the well-read and spiritual person she is today, then I could over come my aversion to scripture reading as well.
Getting back to my chicken. My scripture problem and the chicken go hand in hand. I will one day like reading the scriptures to the point that I will want to feast on them. I have made progress in the short span that I have read daily for the past month and a half, I just have to keep on going and remind myself of all the eternal benefits that are in store from this small thing.
There are many small things that may seem big, but after work and effort, this can bring us deep satisfaction, or great joy. I challenge all of my friends out there to find something; an unfinished project, something new that you have been wanting to try, or maybe something spiritual, like going to the temple more often. Take it and work toward it, and you may surprise yourself in what you can accomplish and the joy you may feel.

3 comments:
Thanks Courtney, I need to hear this too! (PS this is Ben's cousin Emily...we live so close to you guys, we need to get together sometime!)
Cortney, you are awesome! I needed to hear that too! Thanks for sharing that. And now I think I'll try that chicken thing too. I've always been afraid to do it.
Great advice Cortney. Scripture reading is something I have been struggling with also. Not with a lack of desire to read, but to find the time to make it a priority to read so I feel like I can take the time to get something out of the experience. You inspired me once again to keep working on it. I love you!
Post a Comment