Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Friday, July 16, 2010

418 Hours

In the last 19 days Austin has...
  • 418 hours on dialysis, and it's starting to work.
  • Pediatric Intensive Care for 18 days.
  • Held for the first time in 16 days yesterday.
  • Received 6 blood transfusions (a lot for a little guy his size)
  • Has 6 drips for medication/IV, he was up to 10. Now he can take some orally.
  • Walked for the first time in 19 days today.
So here we are. We have officially turned the corner, and Austin is taking leaps and bounds toward recovery. He is peeing, yesterday he peed 25cc's, and the Dr is very pleased. We went outside and played next to a big fountain today during physical therapy, and he took his first wagon ride. He loves to squirt water form a syringe at everyone, especially the nurses. He can be quiet fun. He can also have hard times. It is really hard to have to be the bad guy and make him do his Physical Therapy, and take his oral medication, and hold onto him when they have to give him a spit bath (which he does not like), or hook him up to stuff. But in the end it is to reach our goal: going home. No matter what is going on, I have already told myself that I will be okay with it as long as we get to take our little boy home.
We are continuously blessed, from Ben's work, to the support of our family and friends. It is really neat how some of these blessings have been coming to be after years of what seems like thoughtful planning of a truly thoughtful and loving Heavenly Father. I can only describe some of the moments I have experienced as soul expanding, and have grown closer to my Father.
Ben is starting a new job on Monday, working for Boston Scientific. It was a hard choice to leave Amgen. Ben accepted the offer right at the start of our vacation. When all of hospital stuff started to happen Amgen did offer to take Ben back. But in the long run we think that this new job will be better for our family. We will be moving about an hour north of where we currently live to Valencia/Santa Clarita area some time in the future, we are hoping to move before we bring Austin and Emma down but we will have to see.
This has been a perspective changing experience so far, bringing really important things sharply into focus. I love my family, and am very grateful to be with them for all eternity. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that provides us with everything, including our beautiful and wonderful children. I know that He has a plan for me, and that when I try to heed to that plan I am happier. I know that having a grateful heart is truly a treasure to behold bringing happiness and peace a long the way. I know that I am loved, and am grateful for it. I am grateful and appreciative of learning opportunities (not that I wouldn't give this all back to not have my little guy sick!). I am grateful for the gospel and the peace it brings. I know these things to be true.

7 comments:

Kevin and Eliza said...

I'm so glad that you have turned a corner and he is doing much much better. I will continue to pray for him and your family. This story has been such a tender story. I've felt for your family. I'm so glad you have felt and seen the blessings/tender mercies of the Lord.

Aggieland Mom said...

This is great news. We have been praying for all of you through-out. You are an amazing woman Cortney, I am so glad to have a friend like you. Your story has deeply touched me and I'm overjoyed that Austin had turned this corner. All our love.

Cassidy said...

That is great news!!! I'm so happy he's turning a corner!! Thank heavens for the Lord and our Father in Heaven.

Sara Love said...

You guys have been through so much. Dave fills me in when he sees updates from you or Ben on facebook. We're praying for your little guy and family! What a trial you've been going through. But I have to say I think you and Ben are handling it beautifully! I can't imagine going through something like this with one of my children. And here you all are drawing closer to the Lord and recognizing the blessings that come - all while going through this! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. You strengthen our testimonies. We love you guys! We're hoping and praying for you! Sounds like things are really looking up. Wonderful news. Love - The Miltons

meng said...

I just cried when I read your blog. I am so sorry for everything that has happened. You are an inspiration to me. You can do hard things. Your family is in our prayers.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Such good news. I'm grateful that good things are happening. I'm so glad that you see the good things and a greater understanding of the big picture. Still thinking and praying for you all.

Lyle and Mary: said...

What a tender post. Thank you for sharing your news and your feelings. I need to be reminded that I have more miracles and blessings in my life than I deserve, and a Heavenly Father who lovingly takes care of things.
I will pray things will continue to improve, and the home gets occupied by the whole family very soon!